Java Developer / Java Software Engineer
FINEOS is seeking to appoint Software Engineers to work in its Strategic Product Group ideally based in Dublin (or SPG, previously Product Management). The SPG is responsible for helping FINEOS to win more business through product positioning, innovation, product solution expansion, and through directly supporting product sales bids.
Working on strategic projects, you will be primarily responsible for developing FINEOS Line of Business solutions, and building out demonstration capability, including integrations with FINEOS preferred partners, and prototyping of new roadmap features before they are built in the FINEOS platform. The Software Engineers and Business Analysts who comprise the strategic projects team work together to translate market requirements into deliverable and demonstrable solutions. This team is highly motivated, pro-active and self-organising with a focus on Agility. Currently, the team utilises the Scrum framework to organise and plan all their work.
The ideal candidate for the Software Engineer role will have 2 years’ experience or more in the development of Java/JSP web applications, with good working knowledge of all phases of the software development lifecycle [This ideally will be at skill level 2]. They will be technically strong, versatile and creative, with good communication skills, and also have a clear understanding of the business context of the solutions they develop.
A good working knowledge of FINEOS application components is desirable, with an emphasis on extensibility and how configuration architecture can be used to achieve end results and satisfy business requirements.
The successful candidate will work under the guidance of the SPG Development Lead, who heads up the SPG development team.
Key responsibilities include:
• Web application development using J2EE Toolsets and technologies
• 'Solutioning' - the ability to understand requirements problems and contribute solution design ideas
• Prototype product roadmap features in the FINEOS demonstration environment
• Develop proof-of-concept integrations with preferred business partners of FINEOS
• FINEOS product expertise, specifically in relation to extensibility, and an understanding of the boundaries of what is possible within configuration and code
Other responsibilities and skills:
• Interact closely with the rest of the SPG Development team, Product Managers and Subject Matter Experts (SME's) for clarification of requirements
• Participate in solutions workshops with requirement originators (usually SME's)
• Detailed breakdown of the work required to implement the relevant solution into units of development tasks, including estimation of these tasks
• Occasional support to the Sales team on Bids/ Projects
• Delivering quality features, unit tested and well documented
• Basic insurance industry knowledge would be beneficial
• 2 to 5 years working knowledge of Java/JSP web application development
• Experience in some of all of the following:
o Eclipse IDE (or similar); HTML; Java Script; CSS; SQL
o Hudson; Ant; Maven
o SubVersion (SVN)
o Oracle 11g; Tomcat 6; WebSphere (WAS)
o Web services/SOAP; Jira; Twiki; VMWare
o JUnit, Checkstyle, Jupiter, PMD, FindBugs and Sonar
• Strong technically, but innovative and creative
• Agile development environment (e.g. Scrum)
• Demonstrated ability to quickly learn about new products & technologies as well as meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Strong communications, documentation & presentation skills, and a collaborative team player